[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Twitch-guard

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Twitch-guard
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:32:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> On 2001-09-21 14:43:19, Daniel L Speyer wrote:

> > > Yes.  Fine.

> > > Do battleships have ZOC range 2?  If not, then there is no problem:
> > > the square 'l' is  not in their ZOC.
> > >
> > > If battleships do have ZOC 2, then I can think of other circumstances
> > > when an enemy can 'spot' them from afar in the same way.
> > >

> > Battleships don't have ZOC at all.  However, they do have vision=2, and
> > the strategy I described is a credible one to want from
> > client-scripting.  It works in the real world (I think).
>
> I really don't see the problem... There will only be a delay when you
> enter enemy's ZOC - how could a battleship without ZOC possibly matter
> in any way here???
> Anyway, I think there are problems with the ZOC approach (it will always
> give the defender a chance to attack first that might very vell be too
> god) - borders are really what would make this feature natural...
>
> Hmm... Maybe I see (part of?) your point above now... Do you mean that
> since you won't see a unit passing the border if it is not visible to any
> unit giving it a delay does nothing for your ability to act upon it and
> thus the delay could be skipped thereby letting the invader know that he
> is unseen? (Long sentence :)
> I don't see how this could come up with ZOC though since everything has
> at least 1 visibility and nothing has more than 1 ZOC (I believe?) -
> thus you always see the unit slowing you down, right?
> With borders I think simply making it so you always get a delay when
> passing a border is a very good solution...
>
> So, I still don't see the problem...

The problem is that ZOC alone is inadequate.  The tactic described is
exactly the sort of thing this pause would be for, even though no ZOCing
takes place.  The rest of the commentary was showing how there isn't a
simple modification to ZOC that would fix this sort of problem.

--Daniel Speyer
"May the /src be with you, always"