[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Request

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Request
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:14:16 -0700

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 04:41:56PM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:10:26AM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:54:39AM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > Yes (the /spam command).  It's easy to implement, you just call
> > > notify_player(0,%s).
> >
> > Well notify_player can easily get lost in the spam of messages that comes.
> >
> > How about a /wall command that pops up a window?
> > I made it cmdlevel hack.
>
> And here is the version with a new event type.  Although I like the
> popup better...

The longer I think about this, the more I believe that it needs to be
a popup.  If sending a message to everyone withouth a popup is enough,
why bother with a new command, just type it in the chat line.

This command would be very infrequently used, but would still be very
valuable.  Things like "/wall ack we just lost power, server's ups
will go down in 10 minutes please regroup somewhere else fast!" would
be very useful to the players.  Now if that came between turns in the
chatline or message box it would be lost in the midst of things like
"Athens needs an aqueduct to grow further" and no one would even read it.

Leaving it ALLOW_HACK should be sufficient for players.  Anyone who
has cmdlevel hack already has enough things in their arsenal to be
annoying/cheat etc. that I doubt this will have any effect.

Comments?
--
Paul Zastoupil