[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog - worklist

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog - worklist
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:45:47 +0200

On 2001-08-31 17:45:19, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Am Freitag, 31. August 2001 07:31 schrieb Daniel Sjölie:
> > Ok, I'm going to sleep now... :)
> > Seems the worklist is a mess now but I figured I'd post my progress
> > anyway...
> >
> > Screenshot:
> > http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/worklist.jpg
> > (it says "Enable tooltips" beneath the tooltips :)
> >
> > Patch:
> > http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/new_city_dialog+worklist.diff.
> >gz (worklists seems to be out of order here)
> >
> > What do You think about the approach?
> >

> More feedback:
>
> Overview:
>
> It shows a line "Granary: 8/70 (63)", which is computed wrong
> in this case, should be (62).

Hmm... Are You sure? Does the city grow when the granary is full or when
it "tips over"? Before the number of turns until starvation when
food_surplus is negative was the number of turns until the granary was
empty - which is wrong - starvation is one turn after that, right?
So I just changed turns til growth in the same way without really
thinking it through...

> Accelerators are needed at least for buy and change.

Well, they'd be nice anyway...

> Units page:
>
> The space between the units varies. In the second row
> of supported units it is bigger. Same with Present Units frame.
>
> The Sentry/Fortify button (still) doesn't work. It sentries
> the units when you click on it, but should fortify them on a
> second click. Or is this too hard to do?

I'd really like it if someone else (Mike?) could take care of this
page...

> Worklist:
>
> I like the different sized lists and the information present.
> I like the mouse interface and the tooltips.
>
> I don't like the need to use both mouse and keyboard, for reordering
> the items.

I agree, did it this way for now since it was a real pain to get it to
work moving items with the mouse - I want to do it like that when I get
the time though...

> Also, the buttons sometimes not work, when the item is hilited
> but not selected - the user can hardly see the difference.

Umm... What buttons? This problem should be the same for keys or other
buttons though...

> AFAICS there would be enough space now to reinsert the buttons
> between the lists; then the user has the choice, what to use.
>
> Idea:
> Just put "up" and "down" buttons at the place where
> "Enable tooltips" is. Move the tooltips selector to the right.
> No other buttons would be needed.

Yes, this sound like a good idea until I get moving items with the mouse
working...

> Or move "Enable tooltips" on the last page, enabled by default.
> Are these options stored in .civclientrc ?

Nope, and I think it should be both on the same page and disabled by
default... Perhaps renamed to Help or something like that... The idea is
that You should be able to enable this fast and painlessly when You need
to know how things work...

> Have a look at the positions of tooltips.

I don't think this can be affected... Not easily anyway...

> In the "Available items" list, the turns column still takes
> the production stock into account. Because this numbers are
> not valid for worklist items, I think the should be computed
> without prod. stock.

Mmm...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)