[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog - worklist

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] New city dialog - worklist
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:47:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> Ok, I'm going to sleep now... :)
> Seems the worklist is a mess now but I figured I'd post my progress
> anyway...
>
> Screenshot:
> http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/worklist.jpg
> (it says "Enable tooltips" beneath the tooltips :)
>
> Patch:
> http://www.acc.umu.se/~deepone/freeciv/new_city_dialog+worklist.diff.gz
> (worklists seems to be out of order here)
>
> What do You think about the approach?

I hate it. (sorry) I personally think that a hands off mouse approach is a
good way to go, BUT, a _whole_lot_of_people_ disagree. They like using the
mouse to do stuff. (mainly because they have to use Windows) This is a
very mouse intensive game. In a lot of instances, it's lot faster to open
the dialog and use one or two clicks to make a change and close the dialog
again using the mouse than opening the dialog, taking hand off mouse,
finding the correct buttons and making the change, and then putting hand
back on mouse to do the next thing you need to do.

If you want to design keyboard shortcuts so you are mouse free, then go
for it, but please don't compromise a mouse-user's ability to navigate a
core feature.

-mike