[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Fortress with enhanced vision (watchtower-lik

To: Bert Buchholz <bertbuchholz@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Fortress with enhanced vision (watchtower-like)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:25:06 -0400

At 04:26 PM 01/08/25 +0200, Bert Buchholz wrote:
>Hi,
[...]
>IMPORTANT: Currently, if there are units with visionrange > 2, their
>visionrange is reduced. This is not logical, so maybe the visionrange
>shouldn't be set to 2 but enhanced by 1 (vision_range+1), but this would
>mean that spies inside a fortress would get a visionrange of 3, which
>seems to be very much. In fact, every visionrange > 2 seems to be too
>much, but maybe you think diffrently.
[...]
>Bert

I like the idea of a vision enhancement. If done in a modular piece of
code, the same "enhancement effect" might be attached to other structures,
or even things like "fortified units of a particular type", triggered by
an attribute or small set of attributes to be matched.

I haven't looked as closely at the code as I need to to understand the
implications of this. It would need to scan the unit stack for the current
largest visibility, it would be best to do the fogging/unfogging steps
and any supporting actions in a single spot, and this routine would then
be called if particular attributes were matched in appropriate code
locations.

One could also turn this on/off trivially with a ruleset flag in one spot
for the purists.

But the current flavour seems quite reasonable and would be useful to
gain experience with in real play.

Cheers,
RossW
=====