[Freeciv-Dev] River sailing

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] River sailing
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:24:52 -0400

I liked the idea behind this, but figured it was a little heavy weight
to get through the normal resistance.

The "corecleanup_0?rivers" is a fairly unobtrusive localized change that
coupled with the extensive inland waterways in the mapgen replacement
might open the door and create enough of a demand to start serious thought
about going further.

If we could do this in easy stages, I would really like to see something
along this line at least be a rules option.

BTW: even the simple extension has the AI doing some interesting things.
There are some real strategic aspects to this, and the historical impact
of rivers as used by Viking invaders shows that this is a true effect as
opposed to game artifact. For example if a transport moves into a river
estuary, units are effectively landed, just like in a city :-).

Cheers,
RossW
=====