[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pop cost patch (resending via bug system) (PR#897)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pop cost patch (resending via bug system) (PR#897)
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:28:46 +0100 (WET DST)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Trent Piepho wrote:
> I like shorter names, always have..  In fact
> waaaay back when I graduated from highschool my quote in the senior yearbook
> was something like "fu cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgmng".

If you can read this you can get a good job in computer programming?

That is extreme... I've been known for giving names like fn_cmp() though
:-)

> > It looks like the arguments "make the code ugly and harder to follow"
> > are personal and I have learned I would have a very hard to convince
> > you.
>
> I really wouldn't fight about this.  I think the names are too long, but they
> aren't evil.

I don't like long function/variable names because i'm lazy. I don't like
to type you know? However one must not let himself be tempted into writing
something that's incomprehensible.

Buttons names are special things. In fact designing any piece of a GUI is
a special thing. You must remember what you are doing will be used by all
kinds of people, who are not computer programmers. Long names are tedious
and truncation can lead to disaster.

---