[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pop cost patch (resending via bug system) (PR#897)

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Pop cost patch (resending via bug system) (PR#897)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:24:54 +0200

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:05:25PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Arien Malec wrote:
> > --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I would like to get an extra "_or_" in "can_unit_add_build_city" and
> > > "unit_add_build_city_result".
> >
> > I went back and forth between optimizing for name clarity and name length. I
> > have no objections either way.
>
> I vote for the shorter name.  I think long names make the code ugly and harder
> to follow.  They're a pain to type in too.

Ohhh no. I was just happy to get another patch finished.

As you may have noticed I like longer names. Some creations of me are
"can_step_taken_wrt_to_zoc" and
"can_unit_move_to_tile_with_reason". Although I think now a better
name for the latter would be "test_can_unit_move_to_tile".

It looks like the arguments "make the code ugly and harder to follow"
are personal and I have learned I would have a very hard to convince
you.

The last one: "They're a pain to type in too" is IMHO a real
argument. You are right is takes longer. But since you have to look up
the docu to the functions you can also just copy and paste the
name. And how many times does a programmer really written a lot of
code? Mostly it is bug fixing.

I will temporary leave out the patch and wait for comments of other
people.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Many of my assistants were fans of Tolkien, who wrote 'Lord of the Rings'