[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

To: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:28:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> The problem is that normal and proper are, even in math, very similar
> terms - and especially likely to confuse the average programmer.  What
> other term could be used instead?  How about just is_wrapped_tile?

[ Being an average programmer, and not knowing precisely what the *current*
terms mean, I think I can contribute my 0.02 here... B-) ]

Well, `normal' or `normalized' suggests `standard, unique' while
`proper' suggests `useful, real' to me.
Also `normal' is `one choice among many' (the vector example) while
usually `proper' is `one of the most, excluding a few improper ones'.

So, speaking of map coordinates, `normal' suggests me a unique, standard
representation. `proper' means real, "not virtual". A given tile may
have many different `proper' coordinates, but only one `normal' form.

I'd just say that `proper' is a property that depends on the tile itself,
`normal' it's just one coordinates representation.

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo