[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:37:24 -0400

Justin Moore wrote:

>    BTW, has anyone profiled an actual game?  As in not an all-AI one?  I'd
> be interested to see how much time is spent in all these sections you're
> trying to optimize as opposed to the select() call in sniff_packets.

Very little.

The all-AI games that were profiled used on the order of 10 minutes of
server time, which is only a small portion of the total game time.

One more consideration: until effective client-side buffering of socket
data is implemented, speeding the server up won't help all that much -
any speed gains will be negated by extra players getting disconnected
because they're "lagging".  Obviously, speeding up the client would be
good.

jason