[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 01:17:18 +0200

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
>> I have to admit I haven't learned the difference between proper and
>> normal during my coding. Maybe I have used too much copy and
>> paste. I think there should be the following sets of
>> positions/tiles:
>
> proper is some new thing Gaute came up with.  So you haven't seen it
> before.

That's incorrect.  Terminology aside, the only new thing I could
possibly be accused of coming up with is the observation that the
concept of normalisation--or, in plain English, coordinate
wrapping--applies equally well to coordinates that refer to positions
on the map and coordinates that do not.

> There are still the same two useful subsets of A, now called real
> and proper, and one new useless subset called normal.

No, the `useless' subset is called `normalized'.  And the only thing
that makes it `useless' is your unsupported assertion.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Is this TERMINAL fun?