[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 05:34:25 +0200

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
>> > and proper, and one new useless subset called normal.
>>
>> No, the `useless' subset is called `normalized'.  And the only
>> thing that makes it `useless' is your unsupported assertion.
>
> Oh, 'normalized' and not 'normal', how ever did you understand what
> I was talking about?

This discussion started as commentary on my patch, right?  What else
would we be talking about?

> If it's not useless, show me once instance in the code where
> positions that have been wrapped but do not refer to a tile are
> needed.

The fact that such positions are not desirable does not mean that the
distinction is useless.  Unreal tiles are almost always `useless', but
we still have is_real_tile() or whatever it ends up as.

If you want to check a position to see if you need to wrap it, then
you should just look at the coordinates to see if they are wrapped?
Why give a toss about whether it refers to a real tile or not?  That's
just muddying the waters.

It should never be necessary to check for such things except for when
you are creating new coordinate pairs or for debugging purposes.  But
you know as well as I do that Freeciv is not there yet.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
.. If I cover this entire WALL with MAZOLA, wdo I have to give my