[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 01:28:53 -0400

Trent Piepho wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
> > > and proper, and one new useless subset called normal.
> >
> > No, the `useless' subset is called `normalized'.  And the only thing
> > that makes it `useless' is your unsupported assertion.
>
> Oh, 'normalized' and not 'normal', how ever did you understand what I was
> talking about?
>
> If it's not useless, show me once instance in the code where positions that
> have been wrapped but do not refer to a tile are needed.

normalize == to make normal
normal == that which has been normalized

These are math terms, but they're not exclusive.  True, "normalized" is
less likely to confuse non-math people than "normal" is...I should have
thought of that, I suppose.

Gaute is calling "normalized" the useless subset because he has defined
it to mean "wrapped".  This is different from the "wrapped and real"
definition that you and I (and, arguably, the code) are using.

jason