Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cleaning up configure.in

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cleaning up configure.in
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:29:00 +0100 (WET DST)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Thue wrote:

> > But there are 500 lines of ugly shell/autoconf code in freeciv to do the
> > completely standard thing of detecting X. It must be possible to do it
> > better!

> Ideally the xaw client configure code should be of the same size... I see no
> reason why it shouldn't be possible.
> I have looked around on the web, and I can't seem to find any such macro...

If you read the configure code for detecting X, of gtk+ for example,
you will notice that they also use lots of if checks. I guess the problem
is X has been made to work with imake by default.

Then i remembered i read something about an effort to make X use autoconf.

I thought to myself... what is the standard X app that everyone uses that
is Xaw based? XTerm.  What X version has public access mailing-lists that
would pop up on Google?

So... "autoconf xterm site:xfree86.org" and "I'm Feeling Lucky".

And i found this:
http://dickey.his.com/xterm/

Get the tarball with the source for xterm.

Since this is XFree86 i'm unsure of portability but i assume its pretty
good. I even read some VMS notes in the source so i assume they are
making an effort to make this portable.

It seems they do their own scripts too :-)  Anyway we might want to check
those.

---