Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cleaning up configure.in

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cleaning up configure.in
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:21:38 -0700 (PDT)

Thue <thue@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the quest to make autoconf 2.50 work I have replaced the use of
> FC_CHECK_X_LIB with AC_CHECK_LIB.
> It looks as if they were doing some tricks to get a specific order of libs
> to the linker, but naively using AC_CHECK_LIB seems to work fine.
>
> People should consider testing this. It works for me :).
>
> Note that this part of the code is very, very old, so there is not
> neccesarily a higher mening with it. :)

On the other hand there was certainly some meaning to it at the time,
because I recall some effort went into trying to get it to do the
right thing on some troublesome systems (or certain compliers?).
So I'd be concerned about changing this without either some reasonable
understanding of the details (which I don't remember), or fairly
widespread testing...

-- David