Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:13:30 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 02:54:21AM -0500, Cameron Morland wrote:
> La 2001-04-20, Daniel Sjölie skribis:
>
> > It would be nice to be able to give direct additional input to the
> > behaviour of units... Like specifying that a specific settler should
> > build roads when automated...
>
> Yes, also they should build the _right_ roads. Currently autosettler just
> improves the land near cities, but doesn't seem to build roads between
> cities. I was thinking a "road-to" function would be good for human
> players. Less so for AIs, because they wouldn't explicitly want to join
> particular cities. For them I would suggest monitoring where units move
> and building roads on the most heavily used paths.

I really like this idea. If you attack a city for a longer time the
settlers will build a road to it.

> Really the current AI deals very well with several things. It should be
> possible to get most of the code to work from the client side; the only
> difference is that the AI will not know the entire map. This may modify
> some parts drastically. We'll have to see.

My primary goal isn't to move the C code from the server to the
client. My goal is to establish an infrastructure and then use some
nifty scripting languages for the most parts. If speed is a problem
you can switch back to C. The initial development can be done more
easy and quick in a scripting languages. For example I have an freeciv
wire protocol to XML converter in Python in 1000 lines of
code. Compare this to the 5000+ lines of packets.[ch] and there is no
XML generation included.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters