Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development

To: Jordan Crouse <jordanc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:16:30 -0500 (EST)

La 2001-04-19, Jordan Crouse skribis:

> I think this has the most basis in real life.  A higher entity gives
> orders (move to here, attack here, etc..) and then each unit is
> responsible not only for its own survival (retreat or fortify if
> needed), but also to obey a set of standing orders (sabotoge if
> possible, pillage if possible).  Settlers would also work with a given
> set of standing orders:  maximize production, food, build roads.

That's the idea of BB.

> Woo-hoo!  I'm willing to give a hand if you need it.

I highly recommend _Intelligence Without Reason_ if you want to get a
better understanding of BB. Beyond that, I won't be doing any programming
until at least May 22nd, so feel free to do whatever you like. I'd start
by adding a task to the menu, like "Automate Settler" but for military
units, and writing a simple function that does something silly like "if
you can, move east". Once that works, starting to add better behaviours is
the way to go.

[I really, really have to study, so I killed fetchmail. I'll read more
tomorrow. :) ]