Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:31:09 +0200

On 2001-04-19 08:16:30, Cameron Morland wrote:
> La 2001-04-19, Jordan Crouse skribis:
>
> > I think this has the most basis in real life.  A higher entity gives
> > orders (move to here, attack here, etc..) and then each unit is
> > responsible not only for its own survival (retreat or fortify if
> > needed), but also to obey a set of standing orders (sabotoge if
> > possible, pillage if possible).  Settlers would also work with a given
> > set of standing orders:  maximize production, food, build roads.
>
> That's the idea of BB.
>
> > Woo-hoo!  I'm willing to give a hand if you need it.
>
> I highly recommend _Intelligence Without Reason_ if you want to get a
> better understanding of BB. Beyond that, I won't be doing any programming
> until at least May 22nd, so feel free to do whatever you like. I'd start
> by adding a task to the menu, like "Automate Settler" but for military
> units, and writing a simple function that does something silly like "if
> you can, move east". Once that works, starting to add better behaviours is
> the way to go.

It would be nice to be able to give direct additional input to the
behaviour of units... Like specifying that a specific settler should
build roads when automated...

I agree that building functions like these and make them available to
the human player is a good way to go... Makes it a LOT easier to
actually finish something... :) I also think that it will be easier to
use these functions in a "higher" AI later when one can look at how they
are used in a tested interface to a human player...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)