Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client AI development
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:43:03 -0500 (EST)

La 2001-04-19, Tony Stuckey skribis:

> Except for the "and marks information on the map", this is already done.

This is a critial point, because it lets intelligence emerge from the
combination of environment and entities (map and units). If you think this
doesn't happen in real life, try coding something big without referring to
anything. :)

> > This deals with individual units. An additional bit of code is
> > required to make each city an autonomous unit. The city controls only
> > setting production, placing citizens, and some unit control (shields,
> > happiness). Cities communicate again via the map, both with each other
> > and with units.
>
>       This is already done.  What specific problems do you have with
> server/cityturn.c: auto_arrange_workers()?

Sounds good; I guess this is what happens when I click on the city in the
city dialog. It has to be made smart enough to realize when units are
required, as well.

>       The current Freeciv AI is already programmed bottom-up.  Each city
> greedily gobbles up the best land, produces units until it can't support
> any more, builds city improvements with the most immediate impact on
> production.  Each unit makes it's own decisions based upon incomplete
> information about where to go and what to do.

OK, so it's just a matter of moving it to the client side. Once there,
how good it is can be evaluated, additional/better layers added where
needed, and so on.