Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 00:32:23 +0200

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, thue@xxxxxxx wrote:

>> Just let Freeciv depend on readline-4.2 or higher for readline
>> functionality. It is generally better style for a program to
>> require current libraries than legacy libraries.
>>
>> About the patch: It doesn't change anything related to configure,
>> so it is not even possible to configure to use readline-4.2, so I
>> don't know if the actual code changes would work.
>
> What the patch does is to check for a define only set in 4.2, and
> define the name of a readline function according to that. That
> should work, no? At least it works on my system with readline 4.2,
> and I would really like someone with readline <= 4.1 to test it. :)

From the readline 4.2 CHANGES file:

> The completion convenience functions filename_completion_function,
> username_completion_function, and completion_matches now have an rl_
> prefix, though the old names are still defined for backwards
> compatibility.

As such, I think that the right thing to do is to use AC_CHECK_LIB and
use rl_completion_matches() if available, and fall back to
completion_matches() if not.  I don't see any reason to require 4.2 as
long as we're not using any features from that version.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I'm thinking about DIGITAL READ-OUT systems and