Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:09:23 -0400

Thue (thue@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> Again: I think the bug is that curses is not listed as a dynamic load
> dependesy. The nicest solution would still be to make people install readline
> correctly, possibly by giving fixes to the upstream maintainers.

Just for the record, I disagree that this "should" be fixed by the
libreadline maintainers or the Linux distributions.  The whole *point*
of autoconf is to detect slightly weird system configurations and
compensate for them.

Have autoconf try to link with "-lreadline".  If that fails, try
"-lreadline -lncurses".  If that fails, try "-lreadline -lcurses".  If
that fails, try "-lreadline -ltermlib".  That's really all it takes.

If there's anyone who has ncurses and/or readline installed in a
nonstandard location, then have a "--with-readline=DIR" flag, or even
a "--with-curses=DIR".

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |