Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:33:27 +0200

Sunday 29 April 2001 23:09 skrev du:
> Thue (thue@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Again: I think the bug is that curses is not listed as a dynamic load
> > dependesy. The nicest solution would still be to make people install
> > readline correctly, possibly by giving fixes to the upstream maintainers.
>
> Just for the record, I disagree that this "should" be fixed by the
> libreadline maintainers or the Linux distributions.  The whole *point*
> of autoconf is to detect slightly weird system configurations and
> compensate for them.
>
> Have autoconf try to link with "-lreadline".  If that fails, try
> "-lreadline -lncurses".  If that fails, try "-lreadline -lcurses".  If
> that fails, try "-lreadline -ltermlib".  That's really all it takes.

Thanks. I modified configure.in and it worked. The civserver command line is
so much nicer now! I replaced "-lreadline" with "-lncurses -lreadline" and
then with "-lreadline -lcurses". Both variants worked. Since you seem to know
this stuff, could you please make a patch for configure.in? I would test it.