Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: readline 4.2
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:05:36 +0200

Monday 30 April 2001 00:11 skrev Greg Wooledge:
> Erik Sigra (sigra@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Thanks. I modified configure.in and it worked. The civserver command line
> > is so much nicer now! I replaced "-lreadline" with "-lncurses -lreadline"
> > and then with "-lreadline -lcurses". Both variants worked.
>
> That's linker dependent.  The GNU ld doesn't care about the order in which
> libraries appear, but older versions of Unix ld do.

Note that it was actually not only the order that was different between my 2
variants.

> > Since you seem to know
> > this stuff, could you please make a patch for configure.in?
>
> Well, here's a rough one.  It might not handle the non-GNU ld cases
> properly, or the non-ncurses cases (in other words, I didn't test it
> on anything but my Debian system).  But it might be useful as the basis
> for a better patch....

Since there were only +-lines in your patch, it didn't change the existing
test, which still fails:

checking for IMLIB - version >= 1.9.2... yes
checking for initscr in -ltermlib... no
checking for initscr in -ltermcap... no
checking for initscr in -lcurses... yes
checking for initscr in -lncurses... yes
checking for gethostbyname... (cached) yes
checking for connect... (cached) yes
checking for rl_completion_matches in -lreadline... (cached) no
configure: error: Specified --with-readline but did not find library.