Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities to 3
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 01:54:05 +0100

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 08:35:18PM +0100, Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> Actually, a big part of why I like this solution is that I (as someone
> else mentioned) think that improvements are way to weak as it is...

Mike's antismallpox rules (unhappysize 1 plus a patch to compute happiness
differently) are very effective in stopping smallpox.
They stifle the player's expansion, so basically you are forced to
sit out the time it takes for buildings to pay off.  I think it takes
the same amount of game time in Civ II, which is clearly a game to be
played at a leisurely pace; you can always save the game and restart
it at another time.  In multiplayer mode this is not an option, and
everything must go much faster to keep all players interested.  So
making improvements essential to the game when playing on the net with
multiple human players may actually be very hard: the original game
design just wasn't made with that criterion in mind.

--
Reinier