Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities to 3
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:16:23 -0500

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 08:39:20PM +0200, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
I just noticed that there is possibility to set minimum distance between cities in game.ruleset (min_dist_bw_cities). So, changing it to 3 or 4 will make smallpox impossible.

Not really - the strategy doesn't change, only the map becomes
'smaller'.

Exactly.  That's because it addresses the symptom rather than the cause.

[snip]
Mike Jing's way to add unhappines (read his document, don't remember
his geocities url any more (copy is also readable on my site,
http://tuma.cjb.net/other/smallpox.html), is a good alternative, but it will change gameplay quite much.

The document can be found at

  http://www.freeciv.org/tutorials/nopox.html

We're waiting for the webmaster's comments/corrections to make it 'official'.

The main problem with the approach, it turns out, is boredom. Games take forever. Developments is extremely slow when you only have 12 cities and any conquest or settlement beyond that is penalized.

It has to be pointed out that the game will speed up significantly once the cities are grown to size, and by then the penalty on conquest will cease to be a problem. Of course, it's much faster to cover the map with small cities than to grow them big, but the penalty is absolutly necessary to limit the effectiveness of smallpox.

It is unclear whether there is any way around this problem. The smallpox strategy is good in that it gets you built up and ready for decisive action in under an hour, without the need to do the equivalent of a maths exam in calculating all the details of micromanagement. I'd like to have more strategic options but the game shouldn't be turned into an exercise in accounting.
[snip]

To be fair, there is no complicated calculation involved here -- it doesn't take a math genius to figure out that building more than 11-12 cities is probably a bad idea. The hardest part is to let go of the urge to expand beyond your means and concentrate on city development instead. A period of peaceful development is essential to the eventual success of big cities, and it comes about very natually under these rules. You want big cities? You get big cities, plus a load of extra goodies, such as more strategic options, modern warfare, space race and much much more. For all this, a little more micromanagement is a very small price to pay. Not to mention that if you do it right, it is not that bad at all.

Mike