Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities to 3
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:28:03 -0500

Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is not to argue but to figure out if we understand each other:
:) Too powerful compared to what?  Compared to small cities?
You did agree that small cities should be a lot less useful...
I'm confused as to what You are saying...
The effect of more powerful improvements are really (except from making improvements necessary and thus make larger cities more attractive) a faster game - I don't think that's a bad thing really... As it is You almost never get to modern age technologies.

Compared to slightly smaller cities (not tiny ones). Once you grow your cities to around size 20 and above, they become very powerful, because the effects of city improvements are magnified many times by the city size. By that time, the game becomes much faster. If you can get to this stage first, you can crush a less developed enemy very easily. This is why I say large cities are already very powerful. Giving city improvements more power will tilt the balance too much the other way, IMHO.

The problem we have is that it takes a long time and a lot of work to grow cities to such a big size. You have to improve the land and build all kinds of city imporvements, and they do not really start to pay off until you get to a reasonable size, say above 12. During all this time, you are very vulnerable to attack. In contrast, smallpox is much easier. You can keep expanding and you can usually destroy your enemy before he can grow his cities bigger. On the other hand, if you give more power to city improvements, a player in this development stage will become more vulnerable to someone who has just grown his cities to super large sizes. A game that is too supercity friendly will be just as bad as one that overwelmingly favors smallpox.

I think you are trying to give more power to mid-sized cities, say size 8-12, that's all well and good. But if you increase the power of city improvements, really big cities (size 20-30) will become incredibly powerful. I think they are already powerful enough, that's all.

Actually, a big part of why I like this solution is that I (as someone else mentioned) think that improvements are way to weak as it is... I would like to see improvements as something essential - not as something You build when You have nothing else to build... I probably dislike this just as much as smallpox...

Improvements are not waek, They seem weak only because your cities are too small. Due to smallpox, it becomes a catch-22 situation: city improvements are not worth it because the cities are too small, while cities can't grow bigger without city improvements. Once you get past the development stage and get to size 12 and above, the power of city improvements becomes obvious. In my size 25-30 cities, they are not weak at all.

Really - the natural solution to smallpox is to simply play with a smaller map... :)

That's simply not true. To the contrary, you want to try to squeeze as many cities as possible in the space allowed. If you try a build a few big cities, you will be dead even faster than on a bigger map.

I think the objection to some suggested solutions that they "really just make the map smaller" is of no importance... I see nothing wrong with "really just making the map smaller" in some way...

Reinier said that in reference to the suggestion of increasing te minimum distance between cites. It may help a bit, but it doesn't change the basic tactic, i.e. expand as fast as you can with small cities; build military units instead of city improvements and attck your opponents early. In other words, the underlying principle behind smallpox still applies. The main effect would be to force the small cities to be farther apart, thus making the map effectively "smaller".

Mike