Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patches (PR#685)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patches (PR#685)
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:16:34 -0500

Joona Kiiski (zamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> random_leonardo.diff
> Nowadays leonardo's workshop is upgrading your oldest units first.
> So, if you have good memory you can move your oldest units near
> enemy just before finding new unit type and launch an attack.
> This patch makes Leonardo's Workshop use random when upgrading units.

I don't really regard this one as a bug.  Doesn't it make sense that the
oldest unit (the one with "seniority") should get to go first?  Also,
compare Freeciv's Leonardo with Civ2's Leonardo: in Civ2, Leonardo will
upgrade *all* eligible units at one time, instead of one per turn.

As it stands in Freeciv, Leonardo is already a bit weak.  If you have a
large military, it's quite possible for Leonardo to be unable to catch
up to you for several dozen turns.  (I.e., Leonardo starts upgrading your
Warriors to Musketeers; partway through this, you discover the tech that
gives you Engineers, and it starts upgrading Settlers; then you discover
the tech for Riflemen, and it has to go back and upgrade some of your
Musketeers to Riflemen -- and meanwhile, you still have some Warriors
and Phalanxes who never got upgraded yet.)  A player with a militaristic
focus will often have to upgrade key units by hand because Leonardo is
too slow/unreliable.

--
*** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
"Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/
  Red Hot Chili Peppers           |  old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/