Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patches (PR#685)

To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Greg Wooledge)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patches (PR#685)
From: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:13:40 -0300 (CLST)

Greg Wooledge dijo/said:

>--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/
>
>Joona Kiiski (zamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> random_leonardo.diff
>> Nowadays leonardo's workshop is upgrading your oldest units first.
>> So, if you have good memory you can move your oldest units near
>> enemy just before finding new unit type and launch an attack.
>> This patch makes Leonardo's Workshop use random when upgrading units.
>
>I don't really regard this one as a bug.  Doesn't it make sense that the
>oldest unit (the one with "seniority") should get to go first?  Also,

I concr with this opinion.

>compare Freeciv's Leonardo with Civ2's Leonardo: in Civ2, Leonardo will
>upgrade *all* eligible units at one time, instead of one per turn.

>As it stands in Freeciv, Leonardo is already a bit weak.  If you have a
>large military, it's quite possible for Leonardo to be unable to catch
>up to you for several dozen turns.  (I.e., Leonardo starts upgrading your

A *bit* weak? I'd say it's EXTREMELY weak. If you have a large number of
units, it can't catch up. In you have few units, it does catch up. but
the money involved into building the wonder could have been used to
manually disband old units and the building the newer ones.

IMNAAHO, LW *should* behave as in Civ2.

--
MIGUEL FARAH              //   miguel@xxxxx
#include <disclaimer.h>   //   http://www.nn.cl/~miguel