Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: generalized granary size (PR#635)

To: Andrew McGuinness <andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: generalized granary size (PR#635)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:16:52 -0600

On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 09:45:05PM +0000, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
> This looks like an area ripe for fiddling with the AI anyway.  I am not
> sure about the assumption that each unit of city size is worth the same
> amount to the AI for a start.

        It seems reasonable up until unhappysize.  Since we want to be
able to vary that, the AI should realize what effect changes have.

        The early food value numbers are also high to force early city
growth.  The numbers for both trade and production valuation are static,
(12 and 4, as I recall).  IMHO, these should also depend upon map style
information.  A planet of all grasslands would value production more than
normal.  A planet of all forests would need trade from somewhere to
generate science, although the gold could be generated by Capitalism.

        Another note.  Capitalism is overvalued.  Frequently, the AI will
prefer to build it rather than building things which can help the game
situation more than just having ready cash.

> I suppose, as far as the granary patch is concerned, the
> requirement must be to
>
> a) make the AI no worse for the current default rulesets
> b) allow the AI to deal with variants in a reasonably sane way.

        Right.

> But we can only tell if it's an improvement by trying it.

        Well -- thinking real hard can be a substitute.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."