Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Limited player information to client

To: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Limited player information to client
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:52:42 +0100

> > -You should not send a players global worklists to anyone except the
> > player himself no matter what the infolevel.
>
>  Information of level INFO_FULL is sent only to player himself
> (player.connections) and global observers. I think it's agreed that
> observers have right to see all information concerning player they are
> attached to or, in case of global observers, about all players. Of course,
> I don't see observers having any need for worklists, but just sending
> them makes things a bit less complicated. I'll look this one too, though.

The thing is that the content of a gloobal worklist is not information about
the player as such, but a convenience. But yes, it may be interesting for an
observer to see.

> > -You should send information about the revolution state to players with
> > embassy
>
>  You mean revolution counter? Client does not currently have any use for
> (opponents) revolution counter. I don't think opponent should know how
> long it will take before my revolution ends (in fact, neither should I...)
> You can tell that opponent is going through revolution when his government
> is anarchy (and this is sent at infolevel INFO_MEETING).

In government.ruleset there is the line
when_anarchy="Anarchy"
so concievably, with a custom ruleset, this could be republic or another
normal government. So you cannot count on the government to decide if you are
having a revolution. The revolution field can be used for this.
Players with an embassy should at least know whether another player is having
a revolution. I think that for any player you should hide the number of turns
to exiting revolution, fx by
packet->revolution = pplayer->revolution ? 1 : 0;

> > -Your handling of shared vision information seem unclear.
>
>  It should be quite identical to embassy information handling. (Is it
> unclear too?)

The problem is that when p1 gives shared vision to p2 you need to set the
gives_shared_vision bit when sending p1 info to p2, regardless of whether p2
has an embassy with p1. Currently you do not.

-Thue