Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:04:18 +0200

[xconq German city names algorithm]

> This is the most elaborate solution I have ever seen. (I am not at all
> familiar with the syntax.) It looks very promising.

It is elaborate, but not generic: it is built around some ad hoc
knowledge of German city names.  I prefer Falk Hueffner's algorithm,
because it is completely generic: it assumes no knowledge of the
language.  As a practical advantage: it's shorter, and it doesn't
need language specific tuning for each new nation.  But I also like
the names it generates better: a much wider range of plausible
names is generated, some of which are really funny.  This goes
at the expense of generating some implausible names, but I'd prefer
that to a boring naming scheme.

--
Reinier Post