Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:06:27 +0200

Niels Weber wrote:

> Hi Erik!
>
> Nice idea. Some corrections (maybe just nitpicking):
>
> Erik Sigra wrote:
>
> > data/nation/german.ruleset
> > city_name_firstparts =
> >   "Frank",
> >   "Dresd",
> >   "Münch",
> >   "Berl",
>
> Don't think you can seperate Berlin. Perhaps Ber - lin.
>
> >   "Stett",
> >   "Schwer",
> >   "Müns",
>
> Same for Stettin, Schwerin, Münster, don't think they could be treated
> like this.

I don't think "Berlhiem", "Berlkirchen", "Berlbach", "Stettfurt",
"Stetterode", "Stettlingen", "Schwerkirchen", "Schwerhofen", "Münsheim"
and "Münsberg" sounds too unrealistic. Does it?

> >   "Mühl",
> >   "Ham",
> >   "Wolfs",
> >   "Würz",
> >   "Alt",
> >   "Frei",
> >   "Magde",
> >   "Regens",
> >   "Mar",
> >   "Bam",
> >   "Heidel",
> >   "Hildes",
> >   "Nord",
> >   "Süd",
> >   "Ost",
> >   "West",
> >   "Ros",
> >   "Heil",
> >   "Frau",
> >   "Nörd",
> >   "Dieden",
> >   "Osna",
> >   "Schlett"
> >   "Saar",
> >   "Gelsen",
> >   "Neu"
> >   "Düssel",
> >   "Kloster",
> >   "Heinzen",
> >   "Fünf",
> > city_name_lastparts =
> >   "furt",
> >   "en",
> >   "in",
> >   "ter",
> >   "bach",
> >   "burg",
> >   "berg",
> >   "heim",
> >   "bronn",
> >   "enmarkt",
> >   "lingen",
> >   "hofen",
> >   "brück",
> >   "brücken",
> >   "kirchen",
> >   "gemümd",
> >   "stadt",
> >   "erode",
> >   "dorf"
> > city_name_incombinable =
> >   "Speyer",
> >   "Köln",
> >   "Worms"

(I think "Hannover" would go in here too.)

> > The combinations will not always be grammatically perfect, but that is
> > a minor issue. I think the overall good outweights it by far.
>
> Especially in the german part (for the rest I just don't know) you'll
> need filling parts in between most of the names. In your list these
> filling parts are sometimes in the first part, sometimes in the second
> part of the name. But I don'tthink it could be done according to some
> rules.

Yes I noticed that the German part was extra tricky (not that the
Swedish part would generate perfect results either). I was also worrying
about middleparts. But I didn't find any brilliant solution. I didn't
want to suggest some german-only kludge in the code. I don't think the
problem is severe enough to stop the whole thing.

> > There could perhaps be a list of city names that can't be easily
> > obtained by comining firstpars and lastparts  (called
> > city_name_incominabe in the example). Randomizaion could be used to
> > decide if a city name should be suggested from that list or from
> > combination.
>
> You could perhaps start with a list of real cities but when those are
> used up, you could start generating cities according to your idea.

I don't think the program should require some list of cities to be used
up before starting generating random city names, an i guess Gaute
doesn't think so eiter (see his previous posts for details).

> Just my 0.02 Euro.
>
> CU
>     Niels

-Erik