Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names
From: Niels Weber <nath@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:10:42 +0200

Hi Erik!

Nice idea. Some corrections (maybe just nitpicking):

Erik Sigra wrote:

> data/nation/german.ruleset
> city_name_firstparts =
>   "Frank",
>   "Dresd",
>   "Münch",
>   "Berl",

Don't think you can seperate Berlin. Perhaps Ber - lin.

>   "Stett",
>   "Schwer",
>   "Müns",

Same for Stettin, Schwerin, Münster, don't think they could be treated
like this.

>   "Mühl",
>   "Ham",
>   "Wolfs",
>   "Würz",
>   "Alt",
>   "Frei",
>   "Magde",
>   "Regens",
>   "Mar",
>   "Bam",
>   "Heidel",
>   "Hildes",
>   "Nord",
>   "Süd",
>   "Ost",
>   "West",
>   "Ros",
>   "Heil",
>   "Frau",
>   "Nörd",
>   "Dieden",
>   "Osna",
>   "Schlett"
>   "Saar",
>   "Gelsen",
>   "Neu"
>   "Düssel",
>   "Kloster",
>   "Heinzen",
>   "Fünf",
> city_name_lastparts =
>   "furt",
>   "en",
>   "in",
>   "ter",
>   "bach",
>   "burg",
>   "berg",
>   "heim",
>   "bronn",
>   "enmarkt",
>   "lingen",
>   "hofen",
>   "brück",
>   "brücken",
>   "kirchen",
>   "gemümd",
>   "stadt",
>   "erode",
>   "dorf"
> city_name_incombinable =
>   "Speyer",
>   "Köln",
>   "Worms"

> The combinations will not always be grammatically perfect, but that is
> a minor issue. I think the overall good outweights it by far.

Especially in the german part (for the rest I just don't know) you'll
need filling parts in between most of the names. In your list these
filling parts are sometimes in the first part, sometimes in the second
part of the name. But I don'tthink it could be done according to some
rules.

> There could perhaps be a list of city names that can't be easily
> obtained by comining firstpars and lastparts  (called
> city_name_incominabe in the example). Randomizaion could be used to
> decide if a city name should be suggested from that list or from
> combination.

You could perhaps start with a list of real cities but when those are
used up, you could start generating cities according to your idea.

Just my 0.02 Euro.

CU
    Niels