Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compound City Names
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Sep 2000 21:40:45 +0200

Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx> writes:

> This has been discussed before but I think it is interesting enough to
> be discussed again. Hopefully more elaborate this time.
>
> The thing is, I want COMPOUND CITY NAMES in Freeciv. Anyone who has
> played Transport Tycoon knows what it is and probably likes the
> concept. Here are some examples:
[snipped]
> (I was gonna do English too but I thought 5 nations were enough
> examples (although I'm ready to continue if someone fixes the coding
> part
> of it, which shouldn't be too complex.))
>
> The reason I want compound city names is that I don't think it is
> important to get exactly the names of the real cities. If I for
> example want to play the Dutch I just want to get a Dutch "feeling".
>
> Of course it could be optional and rulesets could have a list of full
> city names as well. The setting could even be changed during the game
> because it is only used when founding cities.
>
> The combinations will not always be grammatically perfect, but that
> is a minor issue. I think the overall good outweights it by far.
>
> There could perhaps be a list of city names that can't be easily
> obtained by comining firstpars and lastparts (called
> city_name_incominabe in the example). Randomizaion could be used to
> decide if a city name should be suggested from that list or from
> combination.

I think you're on to something here.  I always thought that the way
city names are done right now in Freeciv is rather boring.  For
instance, there is no randomisation involved: you'll always get the
same city names, in the same order.  Additonally, if you decide that
you don't like one of them, it will come back to haunt you the next
time that you build a city.

It should be pretty easy to implement this--have a look at
city_name_suggestion() in server/cityhand.c; which is the function
that comes up with city names for all nations and players.  Also look
at server/rulesets.c, where the ruleset data is loaded; it's pretty
straightforward to modify.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
Did an Italian CRANE OPERATOR just experience uninhibited sensations