[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Railroads and AI

To: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Railroads and AI
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:34:01 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Asher Densmore-Lynn wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 11:05:57AM +1000, Robert Rendell wrote:
>
> > If instead of using 0 to disable limited railroad, you had a very large
> > value, like the map's height*width, you'd effectively allow infinite
> > movement on railroads, and the goto routine wouldn't have to make special
> > allowances.  In fact, it would possibly make the routine simpler, because
> > railroad being free is currently a pain.
>
> I thought of that, but decided that it'd be too messy to have a unit with "2
> and 65522/65535" movement points left. I mean, that's just ugly.
>
> > Actually, I think the teleport nature of railroads currently confuses the
> > AI anyway.  For instance, the AI sometimes leaves cities undefended if it
> > believes there are no enemy units in "striking distance".
>
> I wouldn't know about -that-...
>
> --
> Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, it would be nice not to have railroad. But there is no way we will
be allowed to remove the 0 cost in civ 2 movement, so it wouldn't really
help...

We would need to set a limit for the smallest movement possible.
Something like 60 would be smart. That will require quite a few changes.
When are you going to code it? ;)

-Thue