[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI Generally

To: Sam BC <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI Generally
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:38:08 -0500

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 02:42:55AM +0100, Sam BC wrote:
> It has struck me on my time spent observing the list and contemplating
> contributing (and of course reading bits and pieces of code) that one thing
> that is time and again a sticking point is the AI.

        As much as anything else, yes.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current code is pretty much opaque (or at
> least only translucent) and hard to build on.

        There are significant portions which are not documented and not
easily understood, yes.  There are also a lot of references to things like
/* This fixes the Gibraltar bug */
without mentioning what that might have possibly been.

> Maybe after the next version
> release it might be worth thinking about completely re-coding the AI in an
> experimental version, even including both in source with a compile-time (or
> run-time but the executables will be big) option.

        A) I'm not seeing the volunteers and code.  Since 1.7, there have
been about 3 people submit major AI changing patches.  There have been a
lot more than that on other parts of the program.

        B) Multiple groups (including myself) have made grand "view from
10,000 meters" specs, but no code has really come from it.

        C) Nothing is stopping people from producing a separate
"client-like" network AI.  No one's done it.  This is easier than
modifying the server.

        Put your money where your mouth is.  I'd love to see AI-related
patches.  Sorry if this sounds harsh, I think re-reading it a few times
will show that I'm not mad.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."