Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in a

To: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in autoattack.c (PR#351))
From: Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 22:05:19 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Peter Schaefer wrote:

> Well I tried some code that changed the cities where the AI builds walls,
> by adding my version of border detection, but it got awfully slow since my
> code went in a double loop over all cities, making it O(cities) squared.
> Not smart enough :-| .
> We need a way for people to replace the AI with their custom AI, so people
> can have fun working on it and compare it with the standard AI.

I was thinking about this; what we really need is a simple but
comprehensive interface for AI client programs. I don't know how complex
the current TCP/IP based client interface is, it may simply be a matter of
building a framework within which to write AI clients. So the server
wouldn't necessarily run AIs, humans could connect with the graphical
client, but could also write AI clients which would connect in the same
way.

For those of you who remember "C Robots", this has interesting
possibilities: competing at writing civ AIs rather than competing at
playing civ.

BTW, I'm not about to write this. But there are certainly many better
programmers on this list.