Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in a

To: "Peter Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad code in autoattack.c (PR#351))
From: Todd Goodman <tgoodman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 15:12:12 GMT

I agree.  I hesitate to bring this up again, but I think a client side
AI would be great.  People could plug in their AI code (and run AI
tournaments).  A library of helper routines (communication, etc.)
would
help this along.  I bet someone would even create a Perl package.  :-)

Todd

On 5/3/00, 8:47:10 AM, "Peter Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxx> wrote
regarding [Freeciv-Dev] Re: how to improve the AI's attack (was: old/bad
code in autoattack.c (PR#351)):

> >On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 11:47:41PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> >>   + the AI has no sense of 2D space
> >>
> >> When AI cities defend, *all* cities defend equally well, even those
> >> that are 20 tiles from the enemy borderline.  In assessing the need
> >> for defense, a flood fill algorithm should be used to determine the
> >> proximity of enemies, under the assumption that it will be sufficient
> >> to defend the borders.  In assessing the direction of expansion or
> >> conquest, the same algorithm can be used to determine defensible
> >> borders.

> Well I tried some code that changed the cities where the AI builds
walls,
> by adding my version of border detection, but it got awfully slow
since my
> code went in a double loop over all cities, making it O(cities)
squared.