[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Nations

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Robert Brady <rwb197@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Nations
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:44:18 -0500

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 10:50:08PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski was heard to say:
> > I might make a patch so that when people are choosing nations, it is
> > impossible for them to choose a nation with the same capital as the other
> > nation. Possibly some more refinement could be done. This would stop the
> > combinations British/English, Soviets/Russians, Italians/Romans, but allow
> > Italians/French.
> >
> > If I did that, would you cease objecting to the Italians?
>
> Why to add unnecesary complications ?
> Data should be clean as-is.
>
> If you really need Italians, you should split nations.ruleset to epochs
> as was proposed not so long time ago.

  I have another suggestion: include an 'epoch' tag for each nation (the
Tolkien ones can be, well, "Tolkien", or maybe "Fantasy" (maybe we should allow
multiple tags, so the Romans could be both "Ancient" and "European")) and allow
the user to choose which nations to play with -- all nations, ancient nations,
etc; default to all.  I prefer playing with 'all', but it would also be nice to
have modes for the epochs.

> > > The above was a joke of course ?
> >
> > That is a real Welsh town.
>
> I'm sure it will segfault either client or player's brain.

  I dunno, I think it's an ok idea, as long as we don't add speech recognition
to the client and require the user to input city names verbally :).  Out of
curiosity, does it have a translation?

  Daniel

--
  Whoever created the human body left in a fairly basic design flaw.  It has a
tendency to bend at the knees.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_