[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Nations

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Nations
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:11:42 +0000

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 12:05:36PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> > Tomasz, are you trolling? Yankies is a (mildly) offensive slang nick-name.
>
> Like 'Sioux'.

*blink*

OK, maybe I'm the ignorant one.

My dictionary doesn't list it as slang or offensive, in my defense.

> > I haven't seen anyone who agrees with you, Tomasz.  There is no problem
> > having Italians and Romans in the same ruleset, any more than there is
> > having Germans and Incas in the same ruleset.  It's a game, they're local
> > colour.
>
> Well, I can see confusion arising from having the English and British in the
> same game, even when city names are still chosen to be unique.  ('Caravel
> sunk near Manchester?  Where is my Manchester?  Oh wait, it's *his*!')

Could be solved by using Manchester (English) in the messages.

> But I could live with that.  It's fun to see modern and ancient nations
> on the same map.  So I'd prefer to have exclusion purely based on
> city names: if a nation is chosen, no other nation can be chosen
> that shares some of its city names.

I think it's enough that city names are kept unique in a particular game..

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable