[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Making big cities more important

To: Bastian Hecht <basti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Making big cities more important
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:48:54 -0500

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:39:04PM +0100, Bastian Hecht was heard to say:
> How about making big cities much more important. I think it´s more fun
> to try build up really big cities than having loads of small villages
> you need right now to compete with other players in production and
> economics.

  I think something desperately needs to be done about this..Freeciv seems (to
me) to be even less balanced this way than the original Civs, maybe because of
the lack of diplomacy and a Senate.  The ideal case would be for either strategy
(ie: build tons of poorly-planned cities (current best strategy), or a smaller
number of hugely productive cities) to be equally valid, depending on the
disposition of the player.

  It's worth noting, though, that (in my experience, anyway) you can generally
get one or two really big cities even with the ridiculous-number-of-settlers
strategy; just settle one or two spots with lots of resources less heavily, so
that an entire city square is clear..it doesn't decrease your overall density
too badly, and big cities *can* be incredibly powerful later in the game..(in
my experience, but then I'm not a particularly good player :) )

  Daniel

--
  Fate always wins...at least, when people stick to the rules.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Interesting Times_