[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Making big cities more important

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Making big cities more important
From: Steven Burnap <sburnap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:47:42 -0800

At 11:48 AM 2/29/00 -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:39:04PM +0100, Bastian Hecht was heard to say:
> How about making big cities much more important. I think it´s more fun
> to try build up really big cities than having loads of small villages
> you need right now to compete with other players in production and
> economics.

I think something desperately needs to be done about this..Freeciv seems (to
me) to be even less balanced this way than the original Civs, maybe because of
the lack of diplomacy and a Senate. The ideal case would be for either strategy
(ie: build tons of poorly-planned cities (current best strategy), or a smaller
number of hugely productive cities) to be equally valid, depending on the
disposition of the player.

I don't think it really is all that different from the original Civ and Civ 2. The ideal
strategy in those games was to create settlers like a madman, given little
regard to city location and/or development.  In order to beat the game at the
top level, you pretty much had to do it this way. If you tried to produce just a few well-developed cities, the AI will destroy you. The only real difference I've noticed in freeciv is that the AIs use this strategy. In the original Civs, they never
expanded at the same rate.

Steve Burnap