[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas + one patch

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel Zinsli <s830+priv@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some ideas + one patch
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:15:46 -0600

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:29:54PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 01:18:27PM -0600, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> It is *IMPOSSIBLE* to do in multiplayer game.
> It won't work.
> It can't work.

        When you start disbanding units because they "refuse to attack
people we are at peace with" it will and can.  The Senate can ensure a
logical state of peace.  Further measures can ensure that peace is
respected.
        Or go the Vietnam War route, and simply throw their government into
Anarchy.  Or start a full Civil War.  That'll teach 'em.
        Stating that you can't enforce a state of peace on a human player
is absurd.  You can.  Speak softly and carry a big stick and all that.

> And fact that most people switch to Republic/Democracy ASAP,
> most probably means they are overfeatured.

        All governments are not equal.  Peacetime government in Civ does
benefit from being a Democracy and to a lesser extent Republic.  This is an
intended game effect.
        You want to "balance" them, write your own variant ruleset which
removes the +1 trade per square.  Then nobody will ever use them, and your
problem is solved.
        If you want to see broken, look at Fundamentalism.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."