[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Small flags (was: patch: allow duplicate tags in tiles

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Small flags (was: patch: allow duplicate tags in tilespec files (PR#227))
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:30:41 +1100 (EST)

Falk Hueffner wrote:

> here's a first application of David's patch: alternate Civ2-like
> flags.

> Because of the implied north-west
> gravity, it works with both tilesets.

Though a minor imperfection with trident tiles (other than the
one Jeff mentioned) is that the Auto/eXplore/Connect labels
are in the NW corner too.

> This reminds me of something else: it would be nice to state other
> gravities, like "center", for example for specials, or unit state
> overlays. Are optional parameters possible with the registry system?
> Then one could simply have a fourth parameter with values like "NE" or
> "C", defaulting to "NW" (or "C"?).

I assume you mean have eg

 0,  0, "unit.hp_100", "NW"
 0,  1, "unit.hp_90",  "NW"

etc.

This would be fine wrt to registry, except that tilespec already
uses additional fields, to have multiple tags refer to the same
tile (without duplciate pixmap allocations etc).  (Eg, see hills,
forests, and mountains in distrib engels/trident tiles.spec)

But could probably work out some way to have this info in the
tilespec files, eg, within strings, as "unit.hp_100=NW", or
specially recognised qualifiers, eg starting with "=" as
 0,  0, "unit.hp_100", "=NW"
Then the main work would be storing this data internally and
implementing this functionality in the gui code.

-- David