[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goals

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goals
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 17:38:13 +1100

Anecdoter@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 1/3/00 11:56:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> > On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 01:18:51AM -0500, Anecdoter@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >  >     Global extinction - pollution and/or nuclear warefare has destroyed
> > all
> >  > life on the entire planet.  Obviously, this is the worst possible ending.
>
>     What if a requirement for this ending would be that half of all land
> squares would be polluted. I know this would not happen much and therefore
> this ending would not occure very often.  However, in games where the players
> go "nuke crazy" and just start lobing missiles at each other, this ending
> would be very realistic and very probably to occur.   This ending would be a
> "punishment" for using an excessive amount of nukes.

Perhaps pollution that is not cleaned up within a certain number of
turns could start spreading to adjacent squares. Probably should only
apply if the source of the pollution is still present. I.E. if a city is
producing pollution over a certain level. I think this is reasonably
realistic since an area of land can only take so much pollution, but it
would only spread if more pollution was added. The effect of this rule
would be to further punish players who don't attempt to control
pollution, and therefore make the above ending more likely.

Regards,
Steve Hodge