[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goals

To: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goals
From: idjason@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 16:56:10 +0000

 I think it's a good idea, but...

Anecdoter@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
>     I defintly think that there should be a variety of different possible
> endings.  While global domination may, at first, seem to be the key to the
> most exciting games, other goals could make games more
> challenging/interesting.  Here are my suggestions for possible endings - this
> list also assumes that global domination and interplanetary travel are both
> possible endings.
>     Global extinction - pollution and/or nuclear warefare has destroyed all
> life on the entire planet.  Obviously, this is the worst possible ending.
>     Scientific challenges - An asteroid is about to hit the planet, or the
> core is about to explode.  The civilizations must use their tech points to
> research a solution.  If they fail, game over.   This ending should only be
> possible very late in the game, when the civs are advanced enough to cope
> with it.  This is very similar to the "stars going supernova" aspect of the
> original Master of Orion.

 This probably is a little off topic, but does anyone know where i can
get
a copy of Master of Onion.

>     Economic victory - the civilization that controls over ninety percent of
> the planet's GDP is declared the ruler of the planet.  This ending should
> only be available after industrialization is discovered.   To achieve this
> ending, a player would need to focus on developing his or her cities.
>     1984 Ending -  Just like in George Orwell's book, the world is divided
> into several super nations that are never able to achieve a victory against
> one another.  With nuclear weapons armed and subs skimming through the ocean,
> the final outcome of the game is three paranoid men hovering above red
> buttons, waiting for the slightest provacation.   This ending would be the
> trickiest to implement - my best guess would be that the following conditions
> would be needed to be met:  the total number of nukes on the planet would be
> enough to cause a global extinction ending; no cities could be invaded for
> the past fifty or one hundred turns.
>     Global Peace - The game ends in perfect harmony.  This could only be
> achieved if there are no conflicts for five hundred consecutive turns.

 The problem with this ending is that no one would win! That little
problem could severely impact it's popularity. Also, how could you tell
the difference between this and the 1984 ending. Btw it should also only
happen if everyone has embassys with everyone else.

>     Revolution -  Distraught and bitter at their treatment, citizens around
> the globe rise up against all the established power to form a new world
> order.   This would happen if every civ had an extremely low happiness/morale
> rating.

 For this too I think everyone would need embassys with everyone else.
Otherwise how could there be an established order.

>     Barbarian Horde - weakened by disasters and/or war, the players are faced
> with a raging horde of heavily armed barbarians.  This ending should only be
> possible after the following conditions have been met:  1). after year 1500
> 2.)major disaster or conflicts for fifty consecutive turns 3.)25% of map is
> uninhabited.

 Also why not an ending where so much of the world has been killed off
through
conflict that everyone would die due to the narrow gene pool. This would
require say 90% of the world population being killed in 50 turns or
something
similar.