Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Rapture_size in 1.9.0 (PR#194)

To: paulz@xxxxxxxx, mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Rapture_size in 1.9.0 (PR#194)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:54:25 EST

From: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
CC: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New Rapture_size in 1.9.0 (PR#194)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:26:14 -0800

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 05:28:05AM -0800, mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Full_Name: Mike Z. Jing
> Version: 1.9.0
> Client: Gtk+
> OS: Linux (Redhat 6.0)
> Submission from: (NULL) (128.59.42.58)
>

> According to NEWS, Rapture_size is now 3 in 1.9.0, and in fact it works.
> However, it might appear broken because the game message on celebrating
> cities does not appear for cities of size 3 or 4, while you can see they
> are actually in rapture because they do grow 1 size bigger after each
> turn under the right form of government. The same problem exists in City
> Report, where cities of size 3 or 4 which should be in rapture are not
> indicated as such. And finally, the in-game help on Happiness still says
> Rapture_size is 5.  This is not a major problem but it did lead to some
> of my confusion over this issue.

This I am not sure about, but I can check later.

Thanks a lot, Paul, for the prompt response.

I think I found the bug in the code.  In the file
Freeciv/server/cityturn.c, line 1325-1335:

1325     if (!pcity->was_happy && city_happy(pcity) && pcity->size>4) {
1326       notify_player_ex(pplayer, pcity->x, pcity->y, E_CITY_LOVE,
1327                     _("Game: We Love The %s Day celebrated in %s."),
1328 get_ruler_title(pplayer->government, pplayer->is_male, pplayer->nation),
1329                     pcity->name);
1330     }
1331     if (!city_happy(pcity) && pcity->was_happy && pcity->size>4) {
1332       notify_player_ex(pplayer, pcity->x, pcity->y, E_CITY_NORMAL,
1333                     _("Game: We Love The %s Day canceled in %s."),
1334 get_ruler_title(pplayer->government, pplayer->is_male, pplayer->nation),
1335                     pcity->name);

the size for celebration is hardwired as >4 while it should be
something like >=rapture_size.  It's probably a good idea to
simply use the city_celebrating routine in Freeciv/common/city.c.
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, the same problem is there
as well:

893 int city_celebrating(struct city *pcity)
894 {
895   return (pcity->size>=5 && pcity->was_happy/ *city_happy(pcity)*/);
896 }

with the number 5 hardwired into the code.

The city_celebrating routine should also check if rapture_size
is 0, in which case celebration should not happen even if the
city is happy.  Furthermore, if the city was happy during the
last turn and is no longer happy now, should it still be
celebrating?

I am not very familiar with the code, so maybe some expert can
help to sort this out?

> As a side note, maybe we should add a celebration icon for cities in
> rapture?  Because cities in disorder are marked with a lightening bolt,
> maybe we can add some fireworks or something for the celebrating cities.
> This is mostly cosmetics but it would be nice.

This is a good idea, does anyone want to make a graphic?

> A more useful graphics addition would be, say, smoke for polluting cities
> (cities with pollution>0, not after the pollution has already affected
> city quares) so that they are more visible. For now the user has to check > the Demographic Report to see if there is any pollution, and it's hard to > find which cities are actually producing it. Also the amount of pollution
> of each city should be included in the City Report (F1).

It is actually in the city report.  You will have to hit the "Configure"
button in this report to turn the "pollution" on, but it is there.  I used
this a lot in games that go long and I need to see who needs a recycling
plant, or where to send the engineers.  A graphic here might be nice too.

I guess I missed that option (I am still pretty new to the game.)
I did read the manual though.  :-)

--Mike Jing