Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: call for updated translations

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: call for updated translations
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:16:10 +1000 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> Because I don't like to do 'make install' all the time, I use a trick.  I
> add a soft link from '/usr/local/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/freeciv.mo' to
> '/home/jjm/prj/freeciv/po/pt.gmo' (of course, where your 'pt.gmo' file is
> will be different from this, which is where mine is).  (Again, you may need
> to be root to add this soft link.)  This way, I can run my development
> copy, and it always picks up the latest translations.

Yep.  Another way to achieve a similar result without needing
to be root is to configure with --prefix=DIR, where DIR is
somewhere you have write-access to, and then 'make' and
'make install'.

Eg, I do './configure --prefix=/home/dwp/inst'

This works because the prefix affects the compiled-in place
where freeciv/gettext looks.

-- David