Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas for some i18n problems (was: call for updated t

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Saphir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dperezs@xxxxxxx, dbodor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, abies@xxxxxxxxx, vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, hck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ideas for some i18n problems (was: call for updated translations)
From: Egbert Hinzen <egbert@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:11:59 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Hmm, big CC list :-)
> is on freeciv-dev, or should we make another mailing list
> (eg, freeciv-nls?) for this sort of traffic?

I would like freeciv-nls.

Idea: Why not start a news server at freeciv.org with only some freeciv
groups? That would give you the possibility to download only messages (and
attachments) you like. This could be started at once - incoming mails to
the lists could be redirected to news.

> (It seems to me once you get to this stage, a more pressing
> problem is going to be word order, for messages where multiple
> components are assembled.  (The gettext docs had something about
> this, but I didn't understand it, or at least didn't understand
> how it could work, in general.))

At most places it isn't a problem:
If you have sentence like       "%s has %d Settler."
you can change the %places      "%2$d Settler are owned by %1$s".

But AFAIK if you start with s.th. like "%2d: %s of %s." you can not change
that. (I tried it and it compiles fine and all runs until this message
should be displayed - then at least the server crashes.

But there are only a few phrases of that kind - maybe programmers don't
have to use them in the original messages at all.

--
Egbert Hinzen
--- ICQ 45698606 or 51826579
--- PGP Public Keys available at www.ehinzen.de