Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: call for updated translations

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: call for updated translations
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:58:30 -0400

At 1999/10/11 12:50 , Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
>Hello there.  I'm having problems making the "pt" translation of
>Freeciv because i'm still not able to see the client using translated
>strings.  I have RedHat 5.1.
>
>I've tried compiling/running the client like this:
>
>./configure
>make
>
>export LANG=pt
>./civ
>
>And i can't see the client using the translated strings.  They are still
>in English.

I believe you need to get your Machine Object files (.mo or .gmo) into a
place where gettext can find them.  An easy way to do this is to do a 'make
install' just after the 'make'.  This will copy the 'po/pt.gmo' file to
'/usr/local/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/freeciv.mo' (along with doing lots
of other stuff).  (Also, you may need to be root to do a 'make install'.)

Because I don't like to do 'make install' all the time, I use a trick.  I
add a soft link from '/usr/local/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/freeciv.mo' to
'/home/jjm/prj/freeciv/po/pt.gmo' (of course, where your 'pt.gmo' file is
will be different from this, which is where mine is).  (Again, you may need
to be root to add this soft link.)  This way, I can run my development
copy, and it always picks up the latest translations.

jjm